All children have different interests, and it is important to harness these, particularly if they are out of school for an extended period. Talk to them and encourage them to find something they are passionate about and then set them up to undertake an ongoing project; it’s really important that they get stuck into something that they love!
We would encourage them to send them to their teacher so that we can reward them for their efforts when we return to school, provide them with an opportunity to share them with their peers and if they are happy to share more widely, put them up on the website to set an example for others.
Here’s a few ideas to get you going:
- Keep a daily diary/make a time capsule to document this unusual time.
- Learn a new language using a free online course - sign language? Chinese?
- Start a factual project, researching and presenting information on absolutely anything (historical figures, objects in space, exotic animals, the history of your favourite sports team...).
- Create a news show and interview your family!
- Create a character and then write a series of short stories featuring that character.
- Research local history and create your own history book.
- Take up new hobby or learn a new skill.